My sister (who, ironically, doesn't like any alcohol besides church wine) has been talking about how much she loves vodka sauce for a while now. It's always sounded good to me, but I never made it...
...until the other night.
When I decided that I needed some vodka sauce in my life already. At 9:30. At night. After eating an entire bucket of movie popcorn myself. (It's not my proudest moment.)
But, she was so right! It's a super-quick sauce to make (which is a wonderful thing if you're starting it hours after most people have finished dinner). And, it is delicious.
Imagine the alcoholic child of alfredo sauce and marinara. What could be better???
Makes sauce for 1 lb of pasta
- olive oil, to sautee onion and garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- a chookie chookie of oregano, dried parsley, and basil
- 1/2 to 3/4 c vodka
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (or crushed tomatoes for a smoother sauce)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 c heavy cream or half and half
- salt, to taste